Ahmed Mohamed Ahmed El-Tayeb (6th January 1946: 3 safar 1365 hijri) is the current Grand Imam of al-Azhar (48th Imam) since 19th march 2010, former president of al-Azhar University, and former Egypt’s grand Mufti.
He is a professor in Islamic faith, bilingual speaker of English and French, translated some of French references to Arabic, and worked as university lecturer for a while in France also.
He has a lot of writings in jurisprudence, Sharia science and Sufism.
El- Tayeb is from Qena Governorate in Upper Egypt, and he belongs to a Sufi family.
Birth and education
He was born in Elmsrashda District ,Qena Governorate in Upper Egypt in an extended family line related to Imam El- Hassan bin Ali bin Abi Talib.
He joined Al Azhar university and had bachelor in Doctrine and Philosophy in 1969, after that he had a Master's degree and Ph.D. in Islamic philosophy in 1971 and 1977 respectively.
- Al Azhar Sheikh since 19th March 2010 till now.
- Head of Al-Azhar University (28th September 2003- 19th March 2010).
- Egypt’s Grand Mufti (10th March 2002- 27th September 2003).
- He was named dean of Faculty of Fundamentals of Religion at international Islamic university in Pakistan.
- He was assigned dean of faculty of Islamic and Arabic studies for boys in Qena Governorate.
- He worked as instructor, assistant teacher, teacher, and assistant Professor of Doctrine and Philosophy at Al Azhar university, and a professor of Doctrine and Philosophy at the same university.
Sheikh Al Azhar position
On 19th March 2010, previous president mohamed hosni Mubarak issued a decision to assign him Sheikh Al-Azhar as successor of Dr. Mohamed Sayed Tantawy.
- Al-Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud
- Islamic University in Riyadh
- Qatar University
- UAE University
- International Islamic University, Islamabad, Pakistan.
El-Tayeb wrote many writings in Islamic Doctrine and Philosophy, he also has some of studies and researches in that field, he speaks English fluently besides his Arabic mother tongue.
- Critical aspect in the philosophy of Abu Barakat al-Baghdadi.
- Commentary on the Divinity section of speech cultivate book for “Taftazani”.
-Research in Islamic culture, in partnership with others.
- Introduction to the study of ancient logic.
- The concept of movement between Islamic philosophy and Marxist philosophy (research).
- The origins of the theory of science at Ash'ari (research).
- Investigations cause and effect of “ Al mawakef” book: presentation and study.