Egypt Efforts caring People with Disabilities
Wednesday، 11 May 2022 - 11:33 AM
Egypt pays great attention to people with disabilities, and it is considered one of the most important countries praised in social work in general, especially in the field of care and rehabilitation of people with disabilities, due to its significant and pioneering experiences in this regard.
Egypt is a beacon to other countries, due to the conviction and full belief that people with disabilities, with their capabilities, if they are provided with appropriate training and rehabilitation services, care and equal opportunities, will be able to participate effectively alongside the rest of the community.
This is in addition to the full belief that the issue of disability is a societal issue, which must be confronted with the joint efforts of governments, civil society, the private sector and people with disabilities themselves.
National Council For Persons With Diasabilities
The National council for persons with Disabilities was established by Presidential Decree No. 11 / 2019 to replace the National Council for Disability Affairs issued by Prime Ministerial Decree No. 410 / 2012, to which all his rights and responsibilities are assumed.
The Council aims to promote, develop and protect the rights and dignity of persons with disabilities, which are constitutionally mandated and raise awareness of them.
The Council is headed by a Governing Council chaired by the Prime Minister, Vice-President, and 19 members, including six ministers from the Government as follow: “Minister of Health, Education, Social Solidarity, Housing, Planning, Administrative Reform and Manpower”.
Other members are selected from persons with disabilities, public figures concerned with the rights of persons with disabilities, including eight persons with disabilities, 4 representatives of civil society organizations, 5 experts in the field of disability, the President of the General Union of Non-Governmental Organizations and the President of the Specific Union of Associations. Working in the field of disability.
The Board shall be formed for a term of four years, and it is not allowed for its members to be appointed for more than two consecutive terms.
Tasks and functions of the Council
- The council shall prepare an annual report on the situation of the rights of persons with disabilities, and submit this report to the Egyptian president, the Parliament, and the Cabinet.
- Recommend the general policy of the State about developing, rehabilitation , integrating and empowerment of persons with disabilities, follow up and evaluate their applications, and contribute to the development of a national strategy for the advancement of persons with disabilities in the areas of health, labor, education and others.
- Recommend and adopt the policies, strategies, programs and projects necessary for community and health awareness, to avoid the causes of disability and early detection of it.
- The law obliges all ministries, public bodies, local administration units, and concerned authorities to take into consideration the projects and programs set by the council in the field of disability in cooperation and coordination with the National Council for Persons with Disabilities.
- Participate in developing national policies, strategic plans, and follow-up and evaluate their applications.
- Expressing opinions on draft laws and resolutions related to the council and its work field.
- Coordinate with all ministries and concerned authorities in the State to implement the provisions of the International Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities 2007, submit proposals for amendments in policies, means and programs, and express opinions on any other international agreements that the state acceding or willing to join relating to persons with disabilities.
- Representing persons with disabilities and registering the council in the membership of international forums, conferences and organizations concerned with disability issues, after coordination with the concerned authorities in the
- Conducting conferences, symposia, seminars, training courses and workshops to raise awareness of the role of persons with disabilities in society, their rights and duties.
- Documenting information, data, statistics, studies and research related to disability affairs, cooperate in the preparation of a special database for all categories of persons with disabilities, to facilitate communication between them and the council. This is in coordination with the concerned authorities in the State, and the issuance of bulletins, magazines and publications related to the objectives of the Council and its competencies.
- Preparing sign language studies and accrediting translators.
- Receiving complaints about persons with disabilities and discussing them, proposing appropriate solutions, informing the competent investigating authorities of any violation of the rights of persons with disabilities and pygmies, and intervene in lawsuits with the affected.
- Issuing internal decisions and regulations related to the financial, administrative and technical affairs of the council, without abiding by the governmental rules, approving the annual plans and budget of the council, and considering the development of plans and policies necessary for the investment of the council’s funds.
Cairo - 9 Saray El Qobba St. in front of Saray El Qobba Metro Station.
Phone numbers: 24530066 – 24530081
Armed forces Role In Supporting Disabilities
The Armed Forces spare no effort in order to positively participate in supporting the rights of people with disabilities,
These are units prepared to provide training services for the deaf and hard- of-hearing for helping them develop their communication skills which gives them opportunities to develop and acquire language.
Multiple-disability Care and Rehabilitation Institutions:
These are institutions prepared to deal with people with multiple disabilities and these institutions provide various services carried out by other units in an appropriate manner.
The Higher Council for Rehabilitation:
Ministerial Resolution No. 196 was issued on June 3, 2008 to form the Council headed by the Minister of Solidarity and the membership of delegates from the ministries and bodies concerned with people of determination. Delegates are from different ministries like: (Ministry of Health and Population, Ministry of Industry, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, Al-Azhar, the Ministry of Manpower and Immigration, in addition to (6) delegates from various institutions that are concerned with people of determination and their affairs.
The Higher Council is Specialized in the Following:
1 - Studying and preparing the general policy to provide care for the disabled in the Arab Republic of Egypt.
2 - Planning and coordinating programs rehabilitation and employment of people of determination.
3 - Benefiting from international and local experiences, and planning rehabilitation projects for different categories of people of determination.
Cerebral Palsy Rehabilitation and Care Projects:
It aims to provide various aspects of care and rehabilitation for cerebral palsy cases. The project has group of specialists in the field and it serves many cases of cerebral palsy.
National Council for Childhood and Motherhood
The Council has established Child-help line " 08008886666 " for People of Determination, as a national mechanism for communicating with children of determination, their families and those who deal with them.
Since its establishment in 2003, the line provides them with information about the provided services by the state. It supports them to access their rights, whether health, educational, or social, without any financial burdens, in cooperation with the concerned partners.
Ministry of Communications and Information Technology
- The Ministry of Communications signed a cooperation protocol with the International Telecommunication Union, with the aim of launching the Regional Center for Communications and Information Technology for People of Determination in Egypt as a regional center for them in the Arab region in the field of information and communication technology.
- Launching “Intaleq” application that enables people of determination to identify accessible locations on Android phones and IOS phones.
- Signing an agreement to implement programs to rehabilitate 20,000 teachers within 3 years from those who have contact with students of determination in schools for the deaf, hard of hearing, blind and mental disabilities.
- Providing for the needs of 3000 schools, including all special education schools and general education schools set up as integrating schools within 3 years.
- Providing a grant to train 2,000 people with disabilities within 3 years to use computers professionally via internationally accredited certificates.
- Launching the first phase of telemedicine, by providing 12 units to serve 3 governorates within a year, reaching 100 telemedicine units in 20 governorates within three years.
- Holding the Fifth Annual International Conference and Exhibition for Communications and Information Technology, to give people of determination the opportunity for inclusion, empowerment, and participation.
- As for postal services, the following has been accomplished:
1- The pension process was automated through the smart card, and pensions were delivered to the homes of the elderly and people of determination with no added fees.
2- Launching “Tamkeen” portal, as the official portal for the Ministry, to communicate with people of determination.
The Ministry of Education
- Egypt has 887 special education schools, (71) cadres of special education schools have been trained.
- A cooperation protocol has been signed with the National Council for Childhood and Motherhood regarding preparing suitable candidates in the field of caring for the blind and discovering their skills. In addition to training those candidates on the appropriate ways of integrating disabled children with other children.
- Providing a large number of schools for the blind with computers, screen reader programs, printers, smart boards, video equipment, televisions and group hearing aids. In addition to preparing educational programs for mentally disabled students on CDs, the ministry cooperates with the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology for developing the educational services provided for disabled people.
- Implementation of a strategic plan to integrate students with disabilities into general education schools, with the aim of providing equal educational opportunities and ensuring a distinguished educational quality for them.
- Identifying almost about (800) schools of general education in Egypt to be integrating schools. Moreover, about (233) schools of them were equipped with resource rooms, and with the necessary equipment and tools.
Ministry of Housing
The Ministry indicated that booking housing units in the social housing project will be available as 5% of the units will be allocated to people with disabilities and special needs, provided that they meet the terms and conditions.
The Ministry directed that the units allocated to people with motor disabilities should be on the ground floor.