House of Representatives
Sunday، 15 May 2016 12:00 AM
*According to article (122), every House member shall have the right to propose laws. Every bill presented by the government or one tenth of the House members shall be referred to the competent specialized committees of the House for review and submission of a report to the House.
General economic development plan and State budget
* According to article (124), the draft State budget shall be submitted to the House of Representatives at least ninety (90) days before the beginning of the fiscal year; and shall not be effective unless approved thereby. In all cases, the budget law may not include any provision that puts new burdens on citizens.
* According to article (125), the final accounts of the State budget must be submitted to the House of Representatives within a period not exceeding six (6) months as of the end of the fiscal year. The annual report of the Central Auditing Organization (CAO) and the latter’s notes on the final accounts shall be submitted therewith.
Monitoring executive power actions
* According to article (129), every member of the House of Representatives may direct any question to the Prime Minister, or one of his/her deputies, or a minister, or one of his/her deputies on any matter that falls within their respective authorities; and the latter must respond to such question during the same annual session.
* According to article (130) every member of the House of Representatives may direct an interrogation to the Prime Minister, or one of his/her deputies or a minister or one of his/her deputies in order to hold them accountable for matters that fall within their respective authorities.
* According to article (131), the House of Representatives may decide to withdraw confidence from the Prime Minister, or one of his/her deputies or a minister or one of his/her deputies. Filing a motion of no confidence may not be made except after an interrogation and upon a proposal submitted by at least one-tenth of the members of the House of Representatives. The House of Representatives shall issue a decision after considering the interrogation. Withdrawal of confidence requires the affirmative vote of a majority of the House members.
Candidate for the presidency
Discussing president’s statement and Cabinet’s program
* According to article (146), the President of the Republic shall assign a Prime Minister to form the government and introduce his/her program to the House of Representatives. If his government does not win the confidence of the majority of the members of the House of Representatives within thirty days at the most, the President shall appoint a Prime Minister who is nominated by the party or the coalition that holds the majority or the highest number of seats in the House of Representatives. If the government of such prime minister fails to win the confidence of the majority of the members of the House of Representatives within thirty days, the House shall be deemed dissolved, and the President of the Republic shall call for the election of a new House of Representatives within sixty days from the date on which the dissolution is announced. In case the House of Representatives is dissolved, the Prime Minister shall present to the new House of Representatives the formation of his government and its program, at its first session. In the event the government is chosen from the party or the coalition that holds the majority or the highest number of seats in the House of Representatives, the President of the Republic shall, in consultation with the Prime Minister, choose the Ministers of Defense, Interior, Foreign Affairs and Justice.
* According to article (226), the amendment of one or more articles of the Constitution may be requested by the President of the Republic or one-fifth of the members of the House of Representatives. The request shall specify the articles requested to be amended and the reasons for such amendment. In all cases, the House of Representatives shall discuss the amendment request within 30 days from the date of its receipt. The House shall issue its decision to accept the request in whole or in part by a majority of its members. If the request is rejected, the same articles may not be requested to be amended again before the next legislative term. If the amendment request is approved by the House, it shall discuss the text of the articles requested to be amended within 60 days from the date of approval. If approved by a two-thirds majority of the House’s members, the amendment shall be put to a public referendum within 30 days from the date the approval is issued. The amendment shall be effective from the date on which the referendum’s result and the approval of a valid majority of the participants in the referendum are announced. In all cases, texts pertaining to the re-election of President of the Republic or the principles of freedom or equality stipulated in this Constitution may not be amended, unless the amendment brings more guarantees.
State of emergency